LOCATION: Where Needed in the Developing World
GOAL: Save lives through safe drinking water
780 million people across the world do not have access to clean drinking water. That is equivalent to the entire population of the Australia, United States, Canada, Italy, France, and Mexico combined.
Half of the hospital beds in the world are occupied by patients suffering from diseases associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene.
- 3.4 million People die each year from water related disease. This is the equivalent to the population of Sydney every year.
- Every 21 seconds a child dies from diarrhoea.
- 200 million work hours are spent every day by women collecting water. This is time not spent working at an income-generating job, caring for family members, or attending school.
While the numbers can be overwhelming, the truth is that this is a completely solvable problem. Here at Impact Nations Australia, we are committed to being part of the solution.
- Installation of Sawyer Water Filters that were developed in the USA for kidney dialysis but proved too good.
- One filter will last 10 years [with regular maintenance by back flushing once a day].
- The filter will produce disease free and clean water at a rate of 750 litres in 12 hours, approx. 1 litre per minute, and will produce 2.8million litres in its lifetime.
This filter will remove the following diseases:
- Amoebic Dysentery
- E Coli
- Coliform Bacteria
HOW CAN YOU HELP
The Sawyer water filter costs only $75 and provides continuous clean water for at least three families. Along with our partners, we distribute these filters door to door and provide clean water and sanitation training.
In many of the places where we work, the people do not have access to clean drinking water. Women and children spend many hours each day walking long distances to gather water. Water-borne diseases lead to a multitude of serious health problems, many life-threatening. Through our I Thirst water program, we provide water filters and water tank systems that supply ongoing clean water to families and communities. These solutions along with sanitation and health training result in an immediate, drastic improvement in health.